Friday, November 13, 2009

gary allan

Here's the thing. I didn't used to like country music. When I think about the albums I listened to in high school, I realize that lots has changed. I loved R.E.M., the B-52s, The Cure, The Smiths. I still like those bands, but now I find myself listening to a much wider range of music, and I like that.

I got into country music in grad school. I was struggling to find something I liked on the radio, and I discovered the Dixie Chicks. Maybe it was a liberal's intuition, but I felt like they were my kind of people. It was a while before I branched out from them.

Now, I count Sugarland, Jason Aldean, Keith Urban and Gary Allan among my favorite artists period. They shuffle well with my personal collection of blues, rock, soul, rap, opera, etc.



Last night, I had the opportunity to see Gary Allan live at the Ryman Auditorium. I've wanted to see him in concert for a long time. There's something about his voice that sticks with me. It's a certain rasp/twang/sad combo he has. And being from California, he seems to have a different attitude than a lot of other country artists -- more rock.



One highlight of the show was when his daughter Dallas came on stage to accompany him on The Band's "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down." She played piano; he sang. Good times.

No comments: